Microdosing mushrooms is an ongoing problem in alternative health and personal development circles.
As interest in this practice rises, more and more individuals are turning to it to boost their mood, creativity, and productivity.
But just what is microdosing and how does it work?
In this post, we’ll look at the science behind micro-dosing mushrooms, as well as the possible advantages and drawbacks of this practice.
We will also include step-by-step instructions for correctly micro-dosing mushrooms, as well as advice and best practises for individuals new to this practice.
Whether you’re new to micro-dosing or want to learn more about it, this article offers everything you need to know to get started.
What really is Microdosing?
Microdosing a psychedelic chemical is consuming very small quantities, approximately one-tenth to one-fifth of a recreational dosage.
This involves ingesting a very small quantity of psilocybin, the hallucinogenic component present in magic mushrooms, while microdosing shrooms.
The purpose of microdosing is to gain access to the psychedelic substance’s advantages without the powerful and often overpowering effects of a full dosage.
While recreational psychedelic drug usage can result in hallucinations, changed thinking, and powerful emotional experiences, micro-dosing is intended to be a milder and more regulated experience.
Microdosing is frequently employed for its therapeutic and personal growth possibilities.
Many microdosers report better mood, creativity, and productivity, as well as a stronger connection to themselves and others.
However, scientific study on the advantages of microdosing is still in its infancy, and much more research is required to properly grasp the possible benefits and hazards of this practice.
Despite the lack of scientific consensus, there is growing interest in microdosing shrooms and other psychedelic drugs.
How to Microdose Mushrooms?
Microdosing mushrooms involves taking very small doses of psychedelic mushrooms to experience subtle effects without inducing a full-blown psychedelic trip. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to microdose mushrooms:
- Acquire mushrooms: Obtain a batch of high-quality, dried psychedelic mushrooms. It’s important to know the exact species and strain to ensure safety and consistency.
- Measure the dose: Microdosing typically involves taking a sub-perceptual dose, which is typically around 0.1 to 0.3 grams of dried mushrooms. Use a precision scale to measure the desired amount accurately.
- Prepare the dose: Grind the dried mushrooms into a fine powder using a grinder or mortar and pestle. This helps with consistent dosing. You can also purchase pre-ground mushroom capsules from some suppliers.
- Create a microdosing schedule: Establish a consistent schedule to follow for microdosing. Most people microdose every three days, following a pattern of one day on, and two days off. This allows for any tolerance to reset and minimizes the risk of habituation.
- Consume the dose: Take the measured dose of powdered mushrooms by placing it directly under your tongue or swallowing it with water or another beverage. Some individuals prefer to encapsulate the powder using empty gel capsules for ease of ingestion.
- Maintain a journal: Keep a record of your experiences, observations, and any effects you notice throughout the day. This will help you track the impact of microdosing on your mood, creativity, productivity, or other areas of interest.
- Adjust the dose if necessary: The ideal microdose can vary from person to person. Start with the lowest recommended dose and gradually adjust it if needed. If you experience any undesirable effects, reduce the dose or consider discontinuing microdosing.
- Follow safety precautions: Ensure you are in a safe and comfortable environment during your microdosing days. Avoid driving or operating heavy machinery while under the influence of microdoses.
- Observe the effects: Microdosing may have subtle effects on cognition, mood, creativity, and overall well-being. Pay attention to any changes or benefits you experience, but also be mindful of potential placebo effects.
- Seek professional advice: If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are taking medications, it’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional before engaging in microdosing to ensure it is safe for you.
Remember, microdosing mushrooms is a personal choice, and its effects can vary from person to person. It’s important to approach it with caution, respect, and responsibility.
What Magic Mushroom Strains Works Best for Microdosing?
When it comes to microdosing magic mushrooms, there are a few strains that are commonly used and known for their favorable effects. However, it’s important to note that the availability and legality of specific strains may vary depending on your location. Additionally, the effects and experiences can be subjective, so what works best for one person may differ for another. Here are a few popular strains often mentioned in discussions about microdosing:
- Psilocybe cubensis: This is one of the most common and widely available magic mushroom species. Within Psilocybe cubensis, different strains like Golden Teacher, Ecuador, and B+ are often recommended for microdosing.
- Psilocybe semilanceata: Also known as liberty caps, these mushrooms are smaller in size but known for their potent effects. They are found in various regions around the world.
- Psilocybe cyanescens: Commonly referred to as the “wavy caps,” this species is known for its high psilocybin content. It can be more potent than Psilocybe cubensis, so caution is advised when microdosing. Penis envy magic mushrooms
Remember that proper identification of mushrooms is crucial to ensure your safety. If you are not an experienced mycologist, it’s advisable to obtain magic mushrooms from reputable sources or consider growing your own using legal spore kits where permitted.
It’s important to approach microdosing with caution and start with minimal doses, gradually adjusting as necessary. The effects can vary between individuals, so it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional experienced in psychedelic therapy if you have any specific concerns or questions.
Dosage: How Much Should I Take?
The first step (after procuring some magical mushrooms, of course) is to determine the dosage size. Unfortunately, because people’s sensitivity varies, there is no one-size-fits-all dose advice. Mushroom potency also varies (from one species to the next and within species), making doses more difficult to determine than for other drugs. Fortunately, a process based on “levels” has been devised.
- Dry the mushrooms.
- Using a mushroom grinder or similar, ground the mushrooms.
- Using an MG scale, measure out the lowest exactly quantifiable amount (level 1) and observe what occurs.
- If nothing happens, take a little higher dosage a few days later (level 2). Keep a diary of the dosage sizes.
- When the dose becomes big enough to interfere with normal tasks or create hallucinations, the preceding dose (the maximum that did not cause a “trip”) becomes the microdose for that batch.
When it comes to dose, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, but if you need some help, use our magic mushroom dosage calculator.
What is the right time to Microdose Mushrooms?
Microdosing mushrooms refers to taking a sub-perceptual dose of psilocybin mushrooms, typically one-tenth to one-twentieth of a typical psychedelic dose. The goal is to experience subtle effects that can enhance creativity, focus, mood, and overall well-being without causing a full psychedelic experience.
The timing of when to microdose mushrooms can vary depending on individual preferences and goals. However, here are a few general guidelines to consider:
- Start on a day when you have minimal responsibilities or commitments: It’s best to begin microdosing on a day when you have a light workload or minimal obligations, allowing you to gauge how the mushrooms affect you without the pressure of important tasks.
- Choose a day when you’re in a positive mindset: Microdosing mushrooms can amplify your mood, so it’s beneficial to start on a day when you’re already feeling relatively positive and balanced.
- Experiment with different schedules: Some individuals prefer a consistent microdosing schedule, such as every three days (e.g., day 1: microdose, day 2: off, day 3: microdose, and so on). Others prefer to microdose on an as-needed basis, depending on their goals or desired effects.
- Consider your desired effects: If you’re seeking enhanced creativity or focus, you might choose to microdose on days when you have a creative project or need to concentrate on work. On the other hand, if you’re looking for mood enhancement or introspection, you might select days when you have more personal or reflective activities planned.
Remember, the information provided here is general guidance, and individual experiences may vary. It’s important to approach microdosing responsibly, do thorough research, and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any underlying medical conditions or concerns.
What to Microdose Mushrooms With?
It is not required to mix microdoses of psilocybin mushroom with anything, however, some people recommend taking it with lion’s mane mushroom to enhance neuronal development and niacin to boost the dose’s efficiency. Drinking adequate water and overall taking excellent care of the body is equally crucial since there is no use in consuming mushrooms to feel better if you are not also doing these easy efforts towards health.
Microdosing when consuming alcohol is one of those topics that gets little attention. While the notion of “going about your ordinary activities” would appear to indicate that moderate drinking is acceptable while microdosing is acceptable, it is also true that some people utilize microdosing explicitly to assist them to stop drinking alcohol. Psilocybin is not known to interact negatively with alcohol at hallucinogenic concentrations (though it is unclear if the topic has been properly explored), although drinking while tripping might make it difficult for a person to determine how impaired they truly are, perhaps leading to unsafe behavior[ii]. All of this implies that while microdosing and drinking may not be the worst combo, it is still a bad choice.
Because both psilocybin and cannabis may be microdosed, the question is whether they can or should be combined. Again, no known hazardous interactions exist between the two. Their effects also have some overlap. Using a high-CBD cannabis strain shortly before tripping has been observed to alleviate some of psilocybin’s negative effects, such as nausea, whilst using a high-THC strain during the trip might enhance it[iii]. Microdosing the two together could be a nice idea, but because the outcomes are unpredictable, it’s definitely best left to expert microdosers. Microdosing weed
People are starting to intentionally microdose caffeine, and informal caffeine microdosing (such as nursing a single coffee all morning) is nothing new. The goal is to obtain a caffeine boost without overdoing it or suffering a caffeine crash, however, the judgment is yet out on the health effects[iv]. Some corporations are also interested in selling coffee laced with microdoses of psilocybin—presumably along with a standard macrodose of caffeine[v]. Because there is currently little evidence to go on, it is uncertain what these two drugs perform in conjunction.
Side Effects and Benefits Of Microdosing Mushrooms
While microdosing mushrooms is generally considered safe, there are potential side effects and risks to consider. Here are some of the most commonly reported side effects and benefits of microdosing mushrooms: ayahuasca microdosing
Benefits of Microdosing Mushrooms
It’s important to note that the effects of microdosing can vary between individuals, and more research is needed to fully understand its effects. Here are some potential benefits associated with microdosing mushrooms:
- Increased creativity: Many individuals report enhanced creativity and divergent thinking while microdosing mushrooms. It may help with generating new ideas, problem-solving, and thinking outside the box.
- Improved mood and well-being: Microdosing has been reported to have mood-enhancing effects. Some individuals experience reduced symptoms of depression and anxiety, increased optimism, and overall improved emotional well-being.
- Enhanced focus and productivity: Microdosing may improve focus, concentration, and productivity. Users often report increased motivation, better task management, and the ability to stay engaged in activities for extended periods.
- Cognitive benefits: Some users claim that microdosing mushrooms improve cognitive function, including improved memory, enhanced learning ability, and increased mental clarity.
- Heightened spirituality and introspection: Psilocybin has long been associated with profound spiritual experiences. Microdosing may induce a sense of connectedness, introspection, and increased mindfulness, leading to personal insights and self-reflection.
- Reduced symptoms of migraines and cluster headaches: Some individuals who suffer from migraines or cluster headaches have reported relief after microdosing psilocybin. However, this effect is still being researched, and individual results may vary.
- Potential for treating mental health conditions: Although more research is needed, there is growing interest in the potential therapeutic benefits of microdosing for conditions such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and addiction. Some studies suggest that psychedelic compounds may have a positive impact on these conditions, but further research is needed to establish safety and efficacy.
It’s important to approach microdosing with caution and responsibility. If you’re considering microdosing mushrooms, it is advisable to consult with a healthcare professional and thoroughly research the potential risks and legal implications in your jurisdiction.
Side Effects Microdosing Mushrooms
While there is anecdotal evidence and some ongoing research suggesting the potential benefits of microdosing, it’s important to note that the effects can vary from person to person, and scientific studies on the subject are still limited.
That being said, microdosing mushrooms is generally considered to have fewer side effects compared to taking larger, recreational doses. Some individuals who have experimented with microdosing mushrooms report positive effects such as improved mood, increased creativity, enhanced focus, and heightened spirituality. They also claim to experience reduced anxiety and depression, and improved overall well-being.
However, it’s worth noting that some individuals may still experience side effects or unwanted reactions, although they are typically mild. These can include:
- Physical discomfort: Some people may experience minor physical discomfort such as headaches, stomach upset, or mild nausea. These effects are usually temporary and subside quickly.
- Increased emotional sensitivity: Microdosing mushrooms can potentially amplify emotions, which can be positive or negative depending on the individual’s state of mind. This heightened emotional sensitivity may lead to increased sensitivity to stress or emotional disturbances.
- Sleep disturbances: Some individuals may experience changes in sleep patterns, such as difficulty falling asleep or experiencing vivid dreams. It’s important to monitor your sleep quality and adjust your dosage or timing if necessary.
- Interference with medications: If you’re taking any medications, it’s important to consider potential interactions with psilocybin. Some medications, particularly certain antidepressants, and antipsychotics, may have contraindications with psilocybin, and it’s crucial to consult with a healthcare professional before combining them.
- Psychological discomfort: In rare cases, microdosing mushrooms may exacerbate underlying mental health conditions, particularly in individuals predisposed to psychosis or other psychiatric disorders. It’s crucial to exercise caution and avoid microdosing if you have a history of mental health issues.
It’s important to note that the effects and side effects of microdosing mushrooms can vary significantly between individuals. While many people report positive outcomes, there isn’t sufficient scientific research to definitively determine the long-term effects or risks associated with microdosing. If you are considering microdosing mushrooms, it’s advisable to do thorough research, start with a low dose, and listen to your body’s response. Additionally, consulting with a healthcare professional or psychedelic therapist who is knowledgeable about these substances can provide valuable guidance and support.
An increasingly popular fad is microdosing mushrooms, and for good reason.
Microdosing is worth investigating as a possible technique for self-discovery and personal development since many claim that it improves their mood, creativity, and productivity.
However, be conscious of any potential hazards and side effects and proceed with microdosing with caution.
Microdosing mushrooms may be the answer if you want to increase your productivity, foster creativity, or maintain good mental health.
Just remember to do your study, use caution when approaching, and have fun traveling!